Take a dive of faith and join the swim team!

Contributed photo

2022 graduates Rebecca Moulton and Taylor Frisbee ready to go for a swim.

Amanda Ngo, Production Editor

Calling all students: make a splash with the swim team this year! The swimmers have started their preseason and are looking for new members.

As with all school sports, the swim team loses its seniors to graduation each year. Last year, thirteen seniors graduated — four and nine from the boys’ and girls’ teams, respectively.

Burroughs swim is a team sport that depends on having members contribute points to the overall score. This means that the more members, the better chance of winning, which makes the loss of seniors from the past season even more devastating.

Head Coach Brenda Rhodes, as well as a biology teacher at Burroughs, says, “There are big shoes to fill, and I worry swimming in Ridgecrest is a dying sport because we have no public pool.”

The team mood is like no other; the swimmers become close over the season and support one another.

Rhodes comments, “We have a great atmosphere. One of my favorite parts is seeing the upperclassmen help their younger teammates who are new to swimming.”

There’s no pressure; the swimmers always welcome new members. It doesn’t matter if they are familiar with competitive swimming or not; swimming promotes individual growth and improvement.

As senior Jasmine Gallagher puts it, “Just try it out and see how you like it, and if you don’t, then at least you can say you tried — you might be surprised how fun it is! Everyone is very friendly and supportive to one another.”

And if you don’t believe us, you might as well hear it from the source: senior Sarah Quick says, “Whether they’ve swam before or not, I love meeting new members and getting to know them.”

Quick jokingly adds, “I’m even willing to teach people who can’t float! If you’re worried about drowning, don’t be; half the team are certified lifeguards.”

So, what are you waiting for? Visit Coach Rhodes in L39A or contact her via email ([email protected]) to join. Whether you win or lose, you’ll have the time of your life!