BHS Cheerleaders bring All-American spirit to London…

Contributed Photo

Varsity Cheerleaders Samara Rivas, Julissa Martinez, Lenae Lugo, Olivia Haas, Mika Hildreth, Araina Jones, Mackenzy Crow, Mindy Bravo, and Makynna Fruend ready for the London New Years Parade.

Emma Kimbler, Editor-in-Chief

Nine Burroughs varsity cheerleaders traveled halfway across the world to cheer in the London New Year’s Parade over the winter break. The cheerleaders were featured on BBC News on New Year’s Day, cheering past Big Ben, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, and the Ritz Hotel.

The event was the culmination of months of hard work and fundraising. Last summer, the BHS varsity cheerleaders had the opportunity to participate in a USA Cheer camp held Santa Barbara. At the competition, nine Burroughs cheerleaders were selected to participate in London’s New Year’s Parade as part of the Varsity Spirit All-American Cheer team. Only the top 12% of the cheerleaders and dancers from Varsity Spirit camps earn the chance to participate in a performance of this caliber.

Since its inaugural parade in 1987, the London New Year’s Day Parade attracts over 10,000 participants from the USA, UK, Europe and beyond to delight a street audience of over 500,000 and a TV audience which reaches more than 500,000,000 annually.

Besides being able to perform in a world-renowned parade, the performers had the opportunity to meet cheerleaders and dancers from across the United States and enjoy a memorable trip to one of the world’s most popular cities.

Sophomore Mackenzy Crow, coming into her first year on the varsity team, was one of the cheerleaders chosen to perform in London.

“Some of my teammates and I were chosen to cheer at this parade because during cheer camp over the summer, we learned a long cheer to perform in small groups in front of judges,” Crow said. She explained that groups who earned a high enough score were chosen to participate in the All-American parade.

The nine Burroughs girls selected for All-American fundraised and prepared throughout the semester for the 56 trip to the British capital.

Each day in London held something new for the cheerleaders. Senior captain Olivia Haas was especially ecstatic to tour many of the wonders that London has to offer.

“Every day was just a little different,” said Haas. “After breakfast, Varsity organized tours of all the big monuments for us to visit. We got to see sights like Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, and so much more!”

Crow said that visiting Windsor Castle was a highlight of the trip.

“I loved touring Windsor Castle, which was where Queen Elizabeth lived and where the current Royal Family lives now,” Crow said. “We saw so many amazing rooms and pieces in the castle that belonged to the Queen and family.”

Aside from all the tourist attractions visited, the New Year’s Parade was a particularly unique experience for our cheerleaders.

The morning of the parade, over 900 cheerleaders from all over the United States gathered and prepared to perform. The cheerleaders were split into smaller groups where they walked nearly two miles through London, performing at different locations along the way.

Senior captain Lenae Lugo expressed her appreciation for the opportunity for her and her teammates to cheer in the parade.

“Having a group of Burroughs cheerleaders invited to perform in the London New Year’s Parade was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” said Lugo. “Being able to experience everything with my own friends made the experience so much easier. I think it was a great representation for Burroughs, too, especially since our team had the most All-Americans!”

Varsity Cheer Coach Stacy Crow is grateful for the opportunity to coach a group of such high-achieving cheerleaders.

“Going with them to London and watching them perform topped that proud moment at the USA Cheer Camp because I was able to see first hand how their hard work and dedication paid off,” Coach Crow said. “I was also able to connect with the girls on a level outside of cheer, which was great, because I feel like I know them as people now, instead of just cheerleaders.”