Academic Learning Lounge offers Students Extra Help

Isabella Frisbee, Staff Reporter

Needing extra help in your classes? Are you looking for a distraction-free place to do some homework? The Academic Learning Lounge (ALL) is here to help. 

The ALL is open every day at lunch in K-2. Tudors are available for any class you may need; languages, math, science, and more. The goal of ALL is to provide additional academic assistance. 

“We’re hoping that all students see it as a resource they can use as they need,” says ALL supervisor Jesicca Wilson.

Mrs. Wilson, a science teacher at Burroughs, has been managing the ALL for four of the six years it has been running. 

Student-Athletes should take advantage of the ALL to complete schoolwork. Finding the time for it can be challenging with all the practices and traveling. Having a quiet place to get ahead on work or get extra help would reduce the stress of a student-athlete. 

Mrs. Wilson provides weekly reports to the coaches of in-season sports. “The coaches can keep an eye on how their students are doing and encourage them to come in at lunch and get some of their work done.”

ALL is helpful for teachers as well. They can send students to make up tests or quizzes at the ALL, opening up their lunch period to helping other students or taking some time to themselves. 

Students seeking out one-on-one tutoring should talk to Mrs. Wilson ahead of time so she can get an available tutor in to help. Inversely, students interested in tutoring should also talk to Mrs. Wilson about joining the program and have patience and knowledge in the subject they want to tutor. 

Getting academic aid when necessary is always important, and the Academic Learning Lounge wants to help. Stop by K-2 at lunch if you are ever in need of extra assistance or a quiet space to do your homework.