Kindness Counts: Link Crew is on the lookout for orientation leaders

Emily Svika/El Burro

Last year’s Link Leaders (in white) Natalie Hoffman, Alex Vargas, and Amanda Huynh had a blast welcoming the freshmen at orientation.

Mahnoor Ahmad, Editor-in-Chief

Juniors and sophomores, remember when the upperclassmen guided you during your freshman orientation? It was pretty cool, right? Now, you can pay it forward and apply to be a Link Crew Leader for the upcoming school year!

If you’re looking to get involved with other students on campus, develop leadership skills, bolster your college application, or make a difference in the lives of new freshmen, then Link Crew is for you!

“We are looking for students who are kind, caring, and willing to get involved with next year’s freshmen,” said Link Crew Advisor Bob Hope. “Link Crew leaders help freshmen students feel connected and ensure they have someone who cares about their well-being. You can be someone on campus who they can go to for help, direction, or guidance.”

Many of this year’s Leaders were inspired to participate based on their own experiences as freshmen. For Link Crew Leaders who missed out on a face-to-face orientation during COVID, the opportunity to participate is especially valued.

“I didn’t get an in-person experience as a freshman, so my favorite part is being able to personally welcome incoming freshmen. I hope to be a Link Leader again next year, and I absolutely encourage everyone else to do the same!” said junior Loralie McArtor.

All Link Leaders, whether returning or new, are excited for the opportunity to give freshmen a headstart to their high school career.

Junior Jacob Karl Fernandez said, “I’m all in for being a Link Leader next year, especially since I get to introduce the freshmen to Burroughs so that they can make the most of their time in high school.”

Link Crew Leaders typically go through a multiple-day training over the summer where they relearn some typical games. Then, leaders apply their skills for orientation and assist incoming freshmen with the same activities. Leaders receive a bright t-shirt so that they can stand out during the first day of school.

If you are intrigued about the opportunity to become a Link Crew Leader, you can pick up a Link Crew Leader application from your English teacher. The applications are due on or before Monday, May 3 at 3 p.m..