BHS Cheer performs at Orlando Cheez-It Citrus Bowl, too!

Julia Hechanova, Staff Reporter

1, 2, 3-and-4 — Burroughs cheerleaders performed at the Citrus Bowl!

On Jan. 2, BHS All-American cheerleaders made their appearance at the annual Cheez-It Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida, to perform a pregame program alongside other All-American cheerleaders.

“It was a surreal experience, especially after we had finished our routine and everyone was cheering; it was such an adrenaline rush!” said JV cheerleader Rachel Kubin.

The attending Burroughs cheerleaders included a mix of JV and varsity members. To make the cut, cheerleaders from Burroughs participated in a cheer camp where different high school cheer teams were awarded for their efforts.

Burroughs received an award for teamwork, granting them the opportunity to perform at the event.

Since the performance was not a schoolwide event, cheerleaders could not fundraise under the Burroughs name. Most fundraising was through the community’s help, such as starting GoFundMe’s or holding fundraising drives.

Although the event only lasted one day, BHS cheerleaders stayed in Orlando for a total of four days. The trip included a visit to Universal Studios, time at local parks, and practice performances.

“My favorite part of it all was getting to hang out and have fun with my team outside of practice and games,” said JV cheerleader Cate Quackenbush. “It was nice to celebrate what our hard work at camp helped us achieve.”

Cheerleaders practiced twice before the in-game performance. The first practice was in a hotel grand ballroom and the second was at a recreational field near the Camping World Stadium which hosted the Citrus Bowl.

With over 40,000 fans brought into Orlando, the event was a memorable experience for both the cheerleaders performing and those watching in the stands.