Help spread holiday cheer by participating in FCA’s Operation Christmas Child drive!

Sophia Pendergast, Staff Reporter

Are you looking for a way to give back this holiday season? If so, you should participate in FCA’s Operation Christmas Child drive happening on Wednesday, Nov. 9! 

Operation Christmas Child is a charitable organization run by Samaritan’s Purse that collects and distributes toys to impoverished children around the world. In 2021, more than 9.1 million boxes were sent out globally. The goal is simple: bring Christmas joy to all. 

“Not everyone is as fortunate as we are,” said FCA advisor Amy Shermer. “We wanted to serve other children in need.”

In order to participate in Operation Christmas Child, you simply need to collect one of their shoebox-sized boxes, select a gender and age group to shop for, and fill the box with toys, hygiene products, crafts, etc! 

Currently, you can pick up a shoebox to fill from Mrs. Shermer’s classroom in M-42. At their Nov. 9 meeting, they will be tallying the number of boxes and making some fun Thanksgiving crafts. The team that collects the most boxes will win a prize. 

“It is the season of being thankful and giving,” said Shermer. “Participating in [Operation Christmas Child] helps students to understand this.” 

Operation Christmas Child is an incredible opportunity to serve people around the world. Less fortunate children get to experience the joy of receiving a gift, and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you brought that joy. 

Can’t make it to the meeting, but still want to participate in the fun? No worries! You can pick up boxes to fill and drop them off at RCA church. Alternatively, with a $25 donation, you can build a box online through the organization.

FCA meets every other Wednesday during lunch in M-42. 

More on Operation Christmas Child here