A joyful interaction brings students together

Junior+Timothy+Johnson+%28right%29+shows+off+the+pumpkin+he+created+with+sophomore+Interact+Club+member+Nevaeh+Hall+%28left%29.+

Emma Kimbler

Junior Timothy Johnson (right) shows off the pumpkin he created with sophomore Interact Club member Nevaeh Hall (left).

Interact Club members helped spread the Halloween spirit on Monday by joining students in Burroughs’ Life Skills classes in decorating pumpkins at lunch.
Burroughs Math Teacher Judy Dwyer, the club’s advisor, said it was an opportunity for kids to work with students with disabilities and recognize them as human beings deserving of kindness.
“I like to think that it expands them as human beings,” she said. “They have an opportunity to experience being with people who are different and to treat them with the humanity we all deserve.”
Club Vice President Alex Vargas was happy to share his passion for drawing during the activity.
“My favorite part of painting pumpkins with the students was forming a connection, especially over something artistic as we were all having fun,” Vargas said.
Painting pumpkins not only brought happiness to our artists at Burroughs, but also allowed students to see some familiar faces from previous years when they’ve done such activities.
“My favorite part of painting pumpkins was reconnecting with one of my friends Allanah,” Interact President Mahnoor Ahmad said. “It was nice to reunite with her and we enjoyed painting flowers.”
The students’ creativity was fueled by some pizza, provided by the China Lake Rotary Club, Interact’s sponsor. The Interact Club members supplied the pumpkins.
“It was an awesome experience,” said Life Skills Teacher Janeth Pittman. “My students had the opportunity to interact with the gen ed students in a very relaxing environment while practicing their fine motor skills in painting.”
The club members and Life Skills students also pair up in February to make Valentine cards.
The club welcomes new members who share their interest in service. Interact meets Tuesdays in room M41 at the beginning of lunch.