SSUSD orchestras prepare for annual Scary Music Party

Freshmen+Kaydence+Stewart+and+Benjamin+Andrus+prepare+welcoming+cards+for+their+middle+school+orchestra+partners.+

Freshmen Kaydence Stewart and Benjamin Andrus prepare welcoming cards for their middle school orchestra partners.

Angelina Placencia, Staff Reporter

It’s Halloween time and the annual Scary Music Party is set for Tuesday, Oct. 27 in the BHS cafeteria. The Murray, Monroe, and BHS concert orchestras are invited to play and have fun. The event will include decorating, sectionals, rehearsals, a special potluck, and a concert.

Students have the option to decorate a section according to their theme. Each section has its unique theme: Violin 1,  a human butcher shop; Violin 2, Stephen King’s It; Viola, creepy crawlies; and Cello, a haunted mental asylum. The basses have not announced their theme yet.

Amber Petersen is looking forward to the annual event.

“I am most excited to watch the students work together and create a ‘scary’ scene within the limited time and space provided,” said Petersen.

Students raised funds for the event by performing scary music in front of Walmart on Saturday, Oct. 22.

Students will bring their theme to life from  4:30 to 5:30 p.m.

After decorating, the students will participate in sectionals. Each section will break off to practice the scary music in hopes of perfecting it. Burroughs orchestra members are assigned to middle school students to enhance their skills. For a warm welcome, Burroughs orchestra members will create cards to introduce themselves to their paired middle schoolers. The sectionals are scheduled for 5:30 to 6 p.m.

“I think that the sectionals are a wonderful opportunity for older students to learn how to lead and younger students to receive mentorship,” said Burroughs Concertmaster Lydia Washburn.

After students receive guidance in the sectionals, the orchestra will come back together for rehearsals. At the event, music teachers Amber Petersen, Laura Olinger, and guest Mark Hatter will conduct the orchestra. The students will rehearse from 6-6:30 p.m. Participants are invited to wear costumes to the party, and recognition will be awarded for exceptional costumes.

This year, students get the joy of having a potluck at the concert. Burroughs orchestra members are responsible for bringing the meal.  The event is scheduled this year to hopefully let students get to know each other before playing in the final concert. The potluck is set for 6:30 to 7 and is only for orchestra participants.

Middle School Orchestra Teacher Laura Ollinger said she is most excited about “watching the students laugh and enjoy each other’s company.”

After eating, students will warm up one last time before the doors open at 7 p.m. Unlike last year, parents are invited to the final concert to watch the orchestra play. The initial starting time is 7:15 p.m. and students will be seated and ready to perform.