Burros Football Brings it Home

Jonah Gilbert, Sports Editor

The Burroughs varsity football team (1-3) is looking to regain its momentum on the road this Friday against rival Barstow (2-2). Barstow is coming off a 42-14 win against Indian Springs, while the Burros fell 19-7 at home to the undefeated Bishop Union Broncos (4-0).  

In last week’s game,  the Burros held the Broncos scoreless in the first half of the game, but the scoreboard came alive in the second half. The Broncos earned their first 6 points in the third quarter. The fourth quarter saw freshman Talen Mather connect with junior Tyler Henden  for the Burros’ sole touchdown, with sophomore Mikey Petrovich kicking the extra point. The Broncos scored 13 total points in the fourth quarter. 

The loss comes on the heels of the Burros’ Sept. 2 victory at home against the Lancaster Eagles. Within the first ten minutes of that game, it was clear that the Burros were out for the win. Around the 12-minute mark in the first quarter, senior Danny Griffith received a touchdown pass thrown by Mather. The Burroughs team continued on their winning path with Mather rushing a second touchdown in the second quarter. 

Coach Thomas Foisy praised the effort.

“They were able to strike quickly and get some momentum on the first drive of the game. I’m proud of the guys and the hard work they continue to put in day after day!” said Foisy.

After keeping their fans on their feet in the third and fourth quarters when the Lancaster team scored their 14 total points, Griffith brought the game home by scoring the winning touchdown minutes before the game came to an end. While the whole team was thrilled with this win, senior Steven Olmos said that it felt especially good “coming back and winning in front of our house.” 

Jonah Gilbert