Key Club looks forward to new opportunities to make a difference

President Megan Small drops off homemade toys for the local animal shelter.

Simrin Khara, Staff Reporter

The start of the school year is finally upon us, and Key Club is making the most of it. Despite distance learning, Key Club has hosted several different activities during the first month of school and hopes to continue to provide students with opportunities to serve the community in keeping with its overall mission.

Participating in Key Club prepares high school students to be active citizens,” said new Club Advisor Erin Duez. “Key Club provides leadership opportunities and a chance to help someone else.” 

With the campus closed to students at this point, Key Club has been faced with an interesting challenge: serving the community virtually.

“Our club’s mission is particularly challenging this year because as a club, we function best with in-person conversations and connections,” said Club President Megan Small, a junior. “However, we are doing our best to offer the same Key Club experience through distance learning as we look forward to the time we meet again.” 

Just as it did prior to the challenges introduced by the COVID-19 pandemic, Key Club is touching others’ lives both in town and around the world. With projects like making homemade animal toys and treats and encouraging students to volunteer with Chemo Angels, a group that sends letters to chemotherapy patients through a pen-pal based system, the club is making a difference.

Perhaps the most touching part is the impact on friends and family in the school and community.

“It feels rewarding to know that our actions positively impact our school’s campus and community,” said Public Relations Officer Amanda Ngo, a sophomore. “Organizing events to help this cause has made a positive impact.” 

Sophomore Olivia Haas is one of many Burroughs students touched by Key Club and the impact its members have on the community.

“I remember the first meeting my friend dragged me to Key Club, and immediately I felt so good to be a part of something that truly makes a difference,” said Haas.

As the new school year approaches, the club hopes to continue growing in their outreach at Burroughs and encouraging students to join their mission. They are looking forward to doing what Key Club does best: touching the lives of those in need. 

When Key Club makes a meaningful contribution to our community, I – in lack of another world – feel empowered knowing that our actions as a club can help others,” said senior Samantha Rosal. 

Key Club members and leaders encourage new people to join them online at lunch on Tuesdays. Meetings are held every other week, so they advise you to listen to the school bulletin and watch out for posted signs on their social media @BHS _KeyClub. Meetings will be held via Zoom. If you are interested in attending, reach out to a club leader.

“Key Club is a great way to meet people who are passionate about their interests and is a great way to give a helping hand for those in need,” said Small.