Senior athletes win top honors

CIF Southern Section Commissioner Rob Wigod (above) honors senior track athlete Gia Croos-Peterson at the Citrus Belt Area Outstanding Athlete Breakfast held at the University of Redlands. Andrew Mower (XC/Track) could not attend due to AP testing, but his picture made the front cover of the program for the event.

As the 2021-2022 sports seasons and school year draws to a close, Burroughs High School Athletic Director Michele Lazaro announced several students as the winners of the school’s top sports awards.
“I am so very proud of our senior athletes and all of these award winners,” said Lazaro. “These students have been amazing leaders in the classroom and in their sports. They have surely paved the way for the future of Burroughs Athletics. They never let up, and they never let us down. Their hard work over the last four years has been a great example. Each of them have the motivation and determination to succeed, and I just know they will do great things.”
Earning the school’s Outstanding Senior Athlete award is Hannah Ostermann. The triple-threat athlete — tennis, soccer, swim — will receive a certificate and have her name on a school banner in the gym.
The CIF Student Athletes of the Year are Daniel Stone (Boys Soccer) and Olivia Harvey (Volleyball and Swim). They will receive a certificate and be recognized at a Sierra Sands Unified School District board meeting.
The MRL Outstanding Senior Athlete awards go to all-League candidates. This year’s winners for Girls are Hannah Ostermann (Tennis, Soccer, Swim); Leah Tomlinson (XC, Track); Madison Johnson (Volleyball, Swim). Winners for the Boys are Will Novascone (Track, Basketball); Jason Irvin (Soccer); and Tucker Anderson (Tennis).
The Citrus Belt Area Athletes of the Year are Gia Croos Peterson (Track) and Andrew Mower (XC and Track).
Shimon Davis (Softball) and Bryce Halterman (Swim) received the Marine Athlete of the Year awards.
Megan Small (Swim) and Conner Batzer (Baseball) earned the Navy Athlete of the Year awards.
Sairilia Denson (Track) and Logan Drake (Baseball) were recognized as the Army Scholar Athletes.