Shortening the week could be beneficial

Addie Gerber, Staff Reporter

Eleven percent of US schools have taken to a four-day week — but is it a good idea?
When students have a three-day weekend, they get an extra day to take a mental health break. Students who have burnout during the middle of the week will benefit from this factor.
Having a four-day week can also help students fix their sleeping schedules. Every student learns at their own pace, and some of the students stay up for hours to get their homework done. Having a three-day weekend can help students catch up on sleep.
Students and parents can get more done instead of holding it off until the following weekend.
It can be helpful for parents when it comes to scheduling appointments. Instead of having a dentist or a doctor’s appointment during or after school, they can schedule it on our third day off. Students can get more chores done, work longer hours, or have more downtime.
Students can also have extra time to spend with friends and family. During the week, students are so busy that they rarely get to see their family or spend time with their friends outside of the classroom. Spending time with friends and family is just as important as having a good education.
While the four-day week can benefit students and their families, it can also help the school. By having one less day in a week, the district can save a small amount of money. It may be just enough to hire more substitute teachers, buy more books for the library, or buy new equipment.
Having a four-day school week seems like a win-win situation. It can benefit the students’ mental health and social life while benefiting the district’s bank account. Getting an extra day off can be very helpful. Switching to a four-day school week can be a step in the right direction for Burroughs.