2022 College Football Championship

Logun Gutierrez, Staff Writer

For the first time in 41 years the Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide to win the College Football Playoff National Championship game. The Bulldogs were the underdogs in this game being ranked fourth while the Crimson Tide were ranked first. Georgia had to defeat the second ranked Michigan Wolverines to get to the Championship. They defeated the Wolverines 34-11 in the Orange Bowl. The Crimson Tide beat Cincinnati 27-6 in the Cotton Bowl. 

Both teams were now on their way to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Monday, January 10, 2022.  These players and students were getting ready for perhaps the biggest game of their lives. At 5:00 p.m. on that day the game began. The first half featured hardly any action and it was a true defensive battle. No touchdowns were scored. The score at the end of the first was 9-6 with the Crimson Tide in the lead. When the teams emerged from their locker rooms to begin the second half the stakes were high. 

Alabama received the ball at the beginning of the 2nd half and their quarterback, Bryce Young, threw an interception. Later in the third quarter Alabama’s offense started to get going again but then this drive ended with Georgia’s Jale Carter blocking a field goal by Will Reichard. Georgia’s next drive was led by their running backs. James Cook had a 67 yard run that got the Bulldogs into the red zone and then Zamir White ran for a 1 yard touchdown which was the first time either of the teams had reached the end zone. The score was now 13-9. 

At the beginning of the fourth quarter Georgia’s defense collapsed and Alabama got their fourth field goal of the game, making the score 13-12 with Georgia still in the lead. The next drive by the Bulldogs ended quickly with a fumble by their quarterback, Stetson Bennett. Bryce Young found his tight end Cameron Latu in the end zone for a 3 yard touchdown catch. The Crimson Tide went for the two point conversion, but they were stopped by the Bulldogs. Alabama was now in the lead 18-13. The Bulldogs answered back with Stetson Bennett throwing a 40 yard bomb of a touchdown to receiver Adonal Mitchell. They also tried to go for the two point conversion, but they were shut down. With 10 minutes left in the game Georgia was only up by one point, 19-18. 

The Bulldogs scored again with 3 and a half minutes left in the fourth and final quarter. They ran the ball up the field and the Crimson Tide couldn’t stop the Georgia run game. The drive ended with tight end Brock Bowers scoring a 15 yard touchdown reception. Instead of going for 2 the Bulldogs just kicked the extra point. The score was 26-18 and Alabama didn’t have much time to answer back. Less than a minute was on the clock and Alabama had to make something happen, quickly. Bryce Young threw another interception to Georgia’s Kelee Ringo who returned it 79 yards for a touchdown. The score was 33-18 and that is where it stayed. 

Lewis Cine, safety, was named defensive MVP. He had a total of 7 tackles including a tackle for a loss. Stetson Bennet was named offensive MVP. He completed 17 of 26 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns. Georgia had finally done it. The Dawgs are on top of the college football world for the first time since 1980. This Georgia football program has struggled for too long, but the struggle is no more.