Auditions begin for Wilde’s “Importance of Being Earnest”

Annika Houck, Senior Editor

After a much-anticipated return to the stage last semester, the BHS Drama Department is back in action with Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest: A Trivial Comedy for Serious People” announced to be the next production on the horizon.

Auditions will be held Jan. 18 and 19 from 3-5 p.m. in the Parker Performing Arts Center.

“I am looking forward to seeing BHS kids in one of my very favorite plays,” said English and Drama Teacher Eileen Poole. “Anyone can audition. If a student has no stage experience at all, they can still try out. Students who have been in plays should audition. Students who have thought about being in a play but never have gotten up the nerve to go for it, should go for it now!”

The 19th-century comedy includes witty banter and ridiculous humor within a story fraught with both frivolity and sincerity as characters navigate the pitfalls of going by two different names. It is a favorite in English classrooms around Burroughs.

“This play is a staple in many of the English classes I teach, and my students, every grade, every level, always always always get a real kick out of it,” said Poole. “We keep things light for the spring play, so I simply had to turn to Oscar Wilde!”

Any students who are familiar with the play or are simply looking for some fun this semester are welcomed and encouraged to audition. Script packets for auditions are available to interested students for practice.

“Auditioning is a great experience, so I encourage everyone to grab a packet at PPAC 5, figure out a role they want, and be there either Tuesday or Wednesday,” said Poole.

Students can gain many experiences from being part of a cast or even just auditioning. Confidence and unique skills developed from working together on stage are among the many rewards.

“I am expecting once again to have fun, to see the cast bond and feel like a family, and to entertain the audience,” said Poole.