Students and teachers set New Year resolutions for 2021

Emma Kimbler, Staff Reporter

With a new year comes new goals! As 2020 came to an end, it left many wondering how they could make their 2021 a better and productive year. Goal setting is a common way that people reflect upon what they can improve on in the future.

At the beginning of 2021, Burroughs began its second semester. A fresh start to the grade book leaves students with many opportunities to leave their ineffective school habits behind and excel in the second half of the school year.

With distance learning continuing for nearly nine months now, students have started adjusting to taking classes via Zoom. Many have made goals to improve their grades this semester, due to being familiar with online learning already.

Senior Bryan Juarez has set goals for his final semester at Burroughs. 

“My goal is to be a better online student now that I know what to expect,” Juarez said, aiming to finish high school on a strong note.

While many students have made academic New Year resolutions, some of our Burroughs athletes have set goals in order to help them prepare for their upcoming seasons.

Sophomore Abigail Hise, a soccer player, has set goals that will help her be ready to get back on the field.

Hise said she plans to work out and train more, along with eating healthier. She believes these goals will overall help her to be in good condition to return to playing her sports.

Teachers at Burroughs have also set goals to get their 2021 off productively. English teacher Christine Gmitro has set physical activity goals that will help her to stay active during quarantine.

“I’m trying to get at least an hour of exercise every day, whether it’s walking, biking, or something else,” Gmitro said. “I found these great workouts online called HASfit, which helps motivate me to do some strength training.”

By taking time to get some exercise each day, Gmitro has found that it helped her to stay motivated.

Staying productive during these hard times will help people to be positive and look towards the better, near future.