ASB continues to keep students spirited despite challenges

Sophomore+Yleana+Mower+shows+off+her+favorite+mask+for+the+ASB+scavenger+hunt.+

Sophomore Yleana Mower shows off her favorite mask for the ASB scavenger hunt.

Alex Gerber, Editor-in-Chief

With so many school functions canceled, ASB continues to provide fun activities and challenges to keep spirits high among students.

“Our overall goal is to add a little bit of fun to the students’ school life and offer little activities to do at home that they may not normally do,” said ASB advisor Laura Larson. “I think that the students who are participating are having a good time and lifting their spirits.”

At the start of the 2020-2021 school year, ASB introduced weekly challenges as a way of promoting school spirit, in addition to biweekly spirit days. With no rallies, homecoming week, or school functions that typically populate the event calendar, school spirit is needed more than ever.

“I feel that trying to keep a schedule of spirit days brings some sense of normalcy, as it is one of the few things that has carried on from in-person school,” said ASB Vice President Emma Amster. “I want the student body to know to look out for upcoming events, and that we are working hard to try and create some fun events while we are stuck away from campus.”

ASB President Celina Lavarreda understands more than ever the frustrations distance learning is causing students, including struggles with maintaining school spirit.

“I want students to know that we are planning and working twice as hard since we are planning for online activities and also school activities just in case we do go back,” said Lavarreda.

On Oct. 20, ASB hosted a spirit week and scavenger hunt for students to participate in. Students can find the weekly challenges and spirit week information on the ASB Instagram page @burrosasb and posted here on bhsblast.org.

Remaining upbeat and hopeful of a positive school year, ASB Sound Commissioner Hannah Freese continues to promote positivity wherever she can.

“The only thing I feel I can really do is to keep trying to give my classmates hope that we will go back to school soon,” said Freese.

Many students celebrated the Oct.19-23 fall-themed spirit week, bringing out their coziest flannels, class colors, and not-too-formal wear.