Kevin Burch (Math)

What is your educational/professional background?

I was an Airborne Linguist in the Air Force where they taught me Farsi (Iranian). After that, I was a Security Forces officer (military police). I was retired at 19 for asthma and went to college as a biology major, but I changed my major to mathematics after I ran into an older gentleman who was struggling with basic math and realized the problem in education. After that, I changed my major to mathematics, transferred to CSUB where I used my GI Bill to get my Bachelor’s degree in Math. Currently, I am still going to college at National University to get my Preliminary teaching credentials, which will hopefully be awarded to me after I take both TPA’s this semester.

What are you looking forward to about the year?

Honestly, finishing college. No, but on a more serious note, I’m really looking forward to meeting and working with the students here at Burroughs. I always look forward to who I will meet when I go to a new school, and I love it when I can help someone who may be struggling. I’ve realized we are all math people, just in our own way.

What do you like about your subject? 

You can find it everywhere! It’s in technology, it’s in nature, it’s in space, it’s everywhere. Just look into the Fibonacci Spiral conspiracy if you don’t believe me.

When you aren’t teaching, what do you like to do for fun?

It’s been so long since I’ve had free time, I don’t even know anymore. I usually enjoy running if I can get time to run, watch movies, play video games, computer programming, dinner with my wife, etc.

What is your favorite book and/or movie?

Recently I’ve really enjoyed The Greatest Showman. My favorite book though would have to be the Chronicles of Narnia, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

What would surprise your students to know about you? 

I struggled with math in high school. I took the bare minimum that I needed to graduate and that was all. Had you told me in high school that I would become a high school math teacher, I would have laughed at you, yet here I am. I can also relate to many issues that students are struggling with when it comes to family, income, relationships, whatever. It’s been a long and hard road to get where I am now, but I’m glad I pushed through.